|General||Trivia||Gallery||Soundtrack||Quotes||Transcript||Trailer transcripts||Credits||Home media|
Romeo and Juliet is a 1994 American animated musical romantic drama film produced by Gingo Feature Animation for Universal Pictures. Based on the Shakespearean tragedy of the same name, it stars the voices of Tate Donovan, Sandra Bullock, Kevin Kline, Gene Hackman, Nathan Lane, Patrick Stewart, Tracey Ullman, Rupert Everett, Whoopi Goldberg, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and was the first feature film from Gingo. Directed and co-written by Geo G. (in his directorial debut) and co-written by Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, and Noni White, it follows Romeo and Juliet, two teenagers who fall in love against the wishes of their warring families.
The film was released in the United States on September 23, 1994, and was a critical and commercial success, earning $186.3 million on a $44 million budget.
- Tate Donovan as Romeo, the son of Lord Montague and his wife, Lady Montague.
- Brad Kane as Romeo's singing voice
- Sandra Bullock as Juliet, the only daughter of the patriarch of the House of Capulet who falls in love with Romeo.
- Sally Dworsky as Juliet's singing voice
- Kevin Kline as Mercutio, a close friend to Romeo and a blood relative to Prince Escalus and Count Paris.
- Gene Hackman as Tybalt, the son of Lady Capulet's brother, Juliet's short-tempered first cousin, and Romeo's rival.
- Jim Cummings as Tybalt's singing voice
- Nathan Lane as Benvolio, Lord Montague's nephew and Romeo's cousin.
- Patrick Stewart as Friar Laurence, a wise advisor to Romeo and Juliet.
- Tracey Ullman as the Nurse, the personal servant, guardian (and former wet nurse) of Juliet Capulet, and has been since Juliet was born.
- Rupert Everett as Count Paris, a suitor of Juliet. He is handsome, wealthy, and a kinsman to Prince Escalus.
- Whoopi Goldberg as Rosaline, the niece of Lord Capulet.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Queen Mab, a symbol for freedom and also becomes Romeo's psyche after he realizes that he is also a floating spirit.
- Charlie Adler
- Jack Angel
- Corey Burton
- E.G. Daily
- Jennifer Darling
- Debi Derryberry
- Mr. Lawrence
- Sherry Lynn
- Mickie T. McGowan
- Patrick Pinney
- Frank Welker
- Main article: Romeo and Juliet/Soundtrack
Romeo and Juliet was released on VHS on April 25, 1995. On April 4, 1998, the film was re-released on VHS as part of the Universal Family Features collection.
With Amblimation's We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story (1993) underperforming at the box office, Universal Pictures, pleased by the performance of this film, announced plans to establish its own feature animation department.
To see the main transcript of the film, click here.
To see the transcript for the trailers of the film, click here.
|Films directed by Geo G.|
|Romeo and Juliet (1994) • TeenV Movie (2003) • Zina and the Vivid Crew (2004) • BJ and Wally (2006) • FusionMania (2008) • Gabriel Garza (2011) • Gabriel Garza 2 (2014) • Imagimals (2016) • Addie (2019)|